Choosing the right flooring can be a daunting decision especially in times where there is so much to choose from. New innovative floors are being created every day which makes the decision so much more difficult. One of these floors is vinyl. Vinyl has changed over the years and is now a sought-after choice for many.
One of the most common questions we’re asked is what is the difference between the luxury vinyl we’re all used too and this new vinyl composite? We’re here to clear all this up so you can choose the flooring best for your home!
Regular Luxury Vinyl Tiles (LVT)
LVT is crafted from a bespoke blend of PVC which gives it a flexible and soft exterior as well as a strong and durable core. This makes the flooring softer underfoot which is perfect for those with a busy lifestyle. LVT has been a popular choice in recent years due to the many compressed layers it’ holds giving it a strong waterproof top layer, this also makes it stain and scratch proof.
LVT can come in a range of designs and patterns delivering the authentic textures of classic natural materials. This makes it a perfect alternative to real wood flooring as it can perfectly emulate hardwood flooring at a lower overall cost.
Vinyl flooring has come a long way since the 70’s it is now one of the most popular types of flooring and for all the right reasons. SPC is one of the most innovative products of vinyl flooring, as SPC stands for Stone Plastic Composite. This means a combination of limestone and stabilisers are used to create a durable core.
SPC Vinyl consists of many layers. A base layer, a core layer featuring the stone composite, a vinyl layer that features the flooring pattern, and a wear layer that provides resistance this is thin and transparent and ensures the longevity of the product.
This new product of vinyl does not compromise any of the characteristics of normal vinyl but only enhances them due to the limestone composition. SPC vinyl is waterproof, stain proof, and scratch proof so it’s the perfect flooring choice if you live a busy lifestyle and your floor sees a high level of foot traffic.
Now you know a bit more about the two products… let's dive into how they differentiate:
- Luxury Vinyl Tiles is softer underfoot than SPC this is due to the flexible and soft exterior of the product and the stone composite of SPC.
- The hard layer of SPC vinyl could worsen a situation where an accident may happen in the home, therefore if you have children this is something to take into consideration.
- Again, referring to the soft layer of LVT this also makes the product quieter underfoot so if you don’t want to be hearing people walk around in the middle of the night this is the flooring for you.
- When it comes to indentation SPC is more durable due to its harder core. This is perfect for those with a busy lifestyle where their floorings could be prone to indentation.
- SPC is generally more stable than LVT as it has a harder more durable core.
- SPC hosts a thicker plank this is due to the several layers it consists of. This means it is known to last longer than LVT.
- SPC and LVT are both affordable flooring choices, however, SPC is a little bit more expensive due to the many layers and how it is manufactured.
Things to consider
Despite the differences in flooring both SPC and LVT are waterproof, easy to install, easy to maintain, and come in a range of patterns and colours. Your choice is based on what you think is best for your home life. If you live in a busy home where there will be a lot of foot traffic LVT is a recommended choice. If you live in a quieter home and are looking for something more durable SPC is the flooring for you.
Have your say
What type of vinyl flooring have you chosen? Let us know in the comments below!